Eximius’s Response to COVID-19
At Eximius, we take the safety of our clients and staff very seriously.
To that end, when the pandemic was first discussed back in early March, we called all our primary companions to let them know that we were going into immediate lock down, that we did not know how long it would last, and to ask if they wanted to stay or leave. We were thrilled that over 95% wanted to stay with their clients and ensure they were safe and happy. Those that did leave had family or other commitments overseas, and we totally respected this.
We are extremely proud that none of our clients or carers contracted COVID-19.
In the office, Maria, Lisa and Kate all had it and had a positive anti-body test, but we managed to isolate the spread.
We credit this success to our incredible team of carers and companions who always put the health and safety of their clients first. We are so proud of what they have achieved in this very difficult time.
To protect our clients, we put the following measures in place:
- We provided shopping, medication, and PPE, which reduced the exposure to the client and care worker.
- Where necessary we housed care workers in mobile homes in the grounds of client’s houses to prevent them from coming into contact with the virus.
- We test our companions prior to them returning to work or starting with a new client.
- They isolate until they get the result and move in with their client.
- We reduced the volume of companions using public transport by providing lifts in our own or company cars
- We carried out several mini lockdowns within our service as an extra contingency.
- We supported our team with weekly phone calls, Zoom meetings and gifts (such as essential bars of chocolate!)
- Many of our team have self-isolated with their clients since the beginning of March and continue to do so.
Our team has worked hard to keep the spirits of their clients up throughout lockdown.
Early on in the pandemic, we sent them this video.
Some examples of the creative ways our carers have cared and entertained our clients are:
- Video calls with families
- Some companions have taken up baking and made cakes and treats for our clients
- One family created an area in the garden for chickens, so that care worker and client have fresh eggs and chickens to look after.
- Introducing new and tasty foods from different countries.
- Taking walks and regular exercise
- Doing Jo Wicks fitness video for the over 65’s
- Taking drives out for a change of scenery
- Staying in regular contact with loved ones and friends
- Watching old movies and listening to music from their era
- Playing board games or other games
- Reading books to clients that are unable to do this for themselves.
- Playing the piano together.
We are still taking on new clients. Some have been unhappy with their current company, some have realised they need help, and some have had family caring for them who need to get back to their own jobs and responsibilities. All are welcome!
We are so proud of how each and every member of Eximius have behaved in this crisis. Calmly, kindly, and always putting our clients first. We thank them all.